Monday, June 2, 2008

Which is more pitiful?

Which is more pitiful? Banks under a Billi light when only a few days old or Banks on breathing treatments now?



I think the Billi light is more pitiful, and making the comparison makes me feel a little better about the breathing treatments! When I took Banks to the doctor last Friday, Banks was still wheezing. Still not bad, but he's been wheezing every time we've gone to the doctor for the last 3 weeks so we finally decided to try the breathing treatments. We did one in the office and he immediately sounded better so we stuck with it! He's getting them every night, and during the day as needed. If you look closely at the mask you can tell it's supposed to be a fish. If they make the mask cute, is that supposed to make me feel better about my baby on breathing treatments? Anyways, they help ... so I'm ok with it all!
An update on the reflux... the doctor suggested that I put rice cereal in his bottles during the day at Miss Brit's. The rice cereal will make the milk thicker and less likely to come up with the reflux. The purist in me didn't want to give him rice cereal until 6 months, but I was willing to try anything. It doesn't cure the reflux (maturity of the esophagus is what we are waiting for there) but it does help keep the milk down which translates to tubby little baby soon (I hope!). So far, it is AMAZING! Banks hasn't spit up any of his bottles! I'm not going to stop nursing - I think it's the only thing keeping him from getting sicker than he has been - but I'm going to keep sending rice cereal to Miss Brit's to help him through the day. Those were the biggest times he was spitting up anyway... And in case you were wondering, no - the cereal is not helping him sleep through the night. J gave him a bottle with the cereal in it last night and he woke up at 3 AM just like every other night. Oh well - we'll get there...

4 comments:

Haylee said...

Sarah! I am so glad you figured out something that works for Banks- rice and milk! Doesn't it feel so good to make progress?!?! Babies are SO HARD to figure out- but you have been persistent and it has paid off! I hope this continues to solve your spitting up problem!!! CONGRATS!

life in a positive direction said...

Thank goodness for some relief! I am so happy that the breathing treatments and rice cereal are working!!! Hopefully the Smith family is on their way to a healthy house again soon!!! I'll keep my fingers crossed and send prayers your way!!!

Liza said...

I'm so glad the treatments are helping!

Katie said...

I would like to vote that the bili lights are much more pitiful. And the picture you chose of him in the mask is kind of cute! ;) I am sure he thinks it is cute! Don't fret...he will be well soon and you will forget about all of this and say, I know he was sick for a while around 3 or 4 months but I can't remember how long.....