Sunday, April 26, 2009

How does your garden grow?

Last weekend I decided I was going to start planting things. I guess I just realized that I'm starting to spend a lot of time outside with Banks now, so it would be very easy to take care of a few plants while I'm out there. And, I thought it would be a great learning experience for Banks! Jonathan laughs at that though. He says I'm the one obsessed with learning because I literally check the plants every day to gauge their growth! So, I'm going to try and track them weekly on the blog. I figured it would be good enough motivation to keep everything alive!


I decided I needed herbs indoors. Do I ever cook with fresh herbs?
No. But I might if I had them around! I planted Parsley, Basil, Chives and Oregano.


Here's my garden right after planting... I went back and put straw around the plants to make it a little less ugly since the garden is right in my flower beds... I planted a watermelon, green bell peppers, tomatoes, and strawberries. I also planted zucchini from seed because Lowe's didn't have any young plants. I'd also like to note that Jonathan wouldn't let me buy a tomato plant that was already full grown. He said I might as well go to the grocery store. I needed the "experience" of growing the plant!
Oh well... it will be a while before we have tomatoes around here.


What a sweet little helper!




And now, one week later...
I have sprouts!! Check out my green thumb! The parsley is not pictured because I'm not really sure the parsley is going to make it...


My strawberry plant has new berries, and a blossom!
It's a good bit bigger than when I planted it!



And here's my zucchini! I planted it in a pot because I had no more room in the flower bed, and since I was planting from seed I wasn't sure if we would have any success. But check it out! Three little sprouts!

4 comments:

Katie said...

Ok, you are a DORK!! I am impressed though....no garden over here! :)

Sarah said...

Oh friend.... you are just jealous! You will be glad when I have peppers and watermelon galore!

Gaye said...

Mary, Mary, quite contrary...how does your garden grow? I'm quite impressed with your little green thumb...you go girl!

Liza said...

You are not a dork! I am super impressed and you will definitely cook with the herbs!