Friday, August 22, 2008

Riding out the storm

Go away, Hurricane Fay!

Isolated tornadoes around the 'boro today. Around 10:45 we started hearing rumors of a tornado near Stilson/Brooklet and got word that all the kids at SEB schools were in the halls. Then the University put out an official warning that there was a tornado in the vicinity, and thus emergency procedures began. After a little mini-breakdown in my office because I couldn't get home to my baby... I called mom and asked her to get Banks and Nana to the most central spot in the house - Banks's tiny bathroom! They hung out there for over an hour! As you can see from the pictures, mom morphed into Super-Nellie mode and made a little nursery out of the bathroom. She brought in toys, made a bed in the tub for naps, and brought in the crib mattress should she need to take cover in the tub with Nana and Banks! Bless their hearts... I'm sure it got a little tight in there!

These pictures crack me up... Banks really did take a nap in the tub!



Just one more side story... after my mini-breakdown, I had to take care of the visitors on campus. So - I had to walk over to the presentation room and tell the guests that they had to get in the stairwells! I break the news, and ask them to follow me to the stairwell. Then I break into hostess mode and offer to get them water or refreshments to make them more comfortable. All of a sudden, I had visions of the Titanic going down while the orchestra played... and I laughed at myself for offering bottled water during a tornado warning!
All is well at home now. Still under a watch until 10 tonight but things are looking a little better outside at the moment!

5 comments:

gipsonsontherocks said...

Hahaha! Your mom is awesome! I hate that things got so bad there!! Hope everything is ok where the tornados hit. I am sure that your guests appreciated the water. It probably took their mind off of the tornado warning. Much like the orchestra was trying to distract passengers of the Titanic. That would have been much harder with a sinking ship, I imagine!!

Katie said...

Way to go Super Nellie! I am proud of you for following ALL of mommy sarah's instructions! She will now allow you to continue keeping Banks! :)

And Sarah, I love that the frog paci looks like you stuffed a frog in his face to get him to sleep. I got quite a laugh out of that!

Sarah said...

I know - he loves that frog paci!! And yes, Super-Nellie followed all instructions perfectly even though it got to be 120 degrees in the tiny bathroom full of 3 people and a mattress!

Anonymous said...

I have tears rolling down my face from laughing so hard. I can jsut picutre your mom freaking out with Nana and Banks. Then I pictured you dressed to in a prissy bussiness suit running around getting water for your guests. That is too funny!!!! I am so glad that ya'll are ok though. I truly would have freaked out too.

I love that Banks is asleep in the bath tub with his lovie from his Aunt Missy. That was sure to make him feel safe.

Sarah said...

He loves his lovie from Aunt Missy!!