Monday, December 29, 2008

Swan Lake

If Sumter is known for anything, I guess it would be Shaw Air Force Base and Swan Lake. Even then, saying Sumter is "known" for anything might be a bit of a stretch!

At any rate, my childhood was full of going to Swan Lake to walk around the "lake" - which was hardly lake size if you could walk around it - and feeding the ducks and playing on the playground! Swan Lake also has beautiful Christmas lights during the Holidays! And yes, it's called Swan Lake because it is home to hundreds of beautiful swans... 8 different species and they are all so different! Not that you are particularly interested... but it's the only public park in the US with all 8 species.

OK - the picture I'm most excited about it the first one with the fire truck. I have so many memories of being a kid and playing on the fire truck! It looks pretty faded and sad in this picture... and truthfully, it was probably faded and sad even when I was young... but in my memories it was SO COOL! Where else could you play on an old fire truck!?





No comments: