Friday, July 18, 2008

We spent the last week in Phoenix, Arizona! I was presenting at the Hobson's Connect University, a Users Conference for the recruitment module we use on campus, and Jonathan and Banks came with us for a little mini-vacation!

The trip to Phoenix was HORRIBLE! 24 hours long! Allow me to give you the highlights:
- Left the house at 6 AM
- Flight from Savannah to Atlanta was a breeze
- Board plane for Phoenix at 11 AM for an 11:30 flight. Right after we board, boarding stops due to bad weather. J and I are stuck on the plane.
- 1 hour later, boarding begins again. Totally full flight so we are crammed in like sardines.
- Sat on the runway for 3 1/2 more hours (Note - 4 1/2 hours total time on a plane BEFORE take off).
- FINALLY took off for Phoenix.
- 1 hour before landing, the captain came on the intercom and said... "Bad news - monsoon in Phoenix has closed the Phoenix airport for the time being. Because we sat on the runway for so long in Atlanta, we don't have enough fuel to circle the airport until the storm is over. We're heading to Albuquerque to refuel."
- Land in Albuquerque. Re-fuel. Plane won't start back up. 2 trucks come and try to jump the engine off (Like I feel safe flying now...) to no avail. Did I mention that the air conditioner was off this whole time? In New Mexico? We were dying on the plane from the heat.
- Pilot comes back on the intercom... "Folks, more bad news. The plane won't start and now the pilots are out of duty time. This flight is grounded."
- After running to the ticket counter to get a new flight, they finally decide that they can get new pilots and the same flight can leave at 11:00 PM (1 AM EST). It's currently 5 PM.
- At 9 PM, they change the take off time to 1:00 AM (3 AM EST).
- 1:30 AM, take off for Phoenix with a flight crew who is so close to running out of duty time that they literally got us boarded and were taking off within 15 minutes. We were already in the air when the safety video began.
- 3:00 AM (6:00 AM EST - 24 hours after we left home) we crawled into bed at the resort.

Fortunately, the flight home was PERFECT!

Here are a few of my favorite pictures from the week. Jonathan and Banks got to spend a lot of quality time together. He was exhausted at the end of the week I think!

Banks on his first flight!

Laid over in Albuquerque for 6 hours...



Jonathan and Banks playing in the pool!

J will always be a cheerleader at heart! Cindy posted a picture here of her daughter and hubbie, and I think J was inspired!
Banks slept in the closet! I know, I'm a bad mom... but the pack and play fit in the closet and this way he couldn't see us! He gets so distracted if he can see us, and then he won't sleep!
Enjoying the vacation...
What a beautiful landscape!



3 comments:

K.White said...

I'm exhausted just reading about your experience trying to get to Phoenix. I'm sure that was an even worse experience having a baby with you. Glad ya'll finally made it and the rest of your trip was good.

Jennifer :) said...

That might be the worst luck ever!!! I am glad ya'll are back safely...you deserved a perfect flight after all that!

Haylee said...

OH my goodness! I have never heard of something so awful! I am so glad everything went perfectly on the way home!!