Hey there! I finally managed to compile some of our photos from the last week into a slideshow so you can live through some of our first few days getting to know Banks!
We are really enjoying getting to know our son. He has a very sweet temperament, and he really only cries when he needs something. We have had a few hurdles to get through in this first week though - starting with labor. When we began pushing, we realized that Banks was face up - not the ideal position for giving birth becuase it is harder for the baby to make his way into the world, and it causes mommy to have lots of back labor (which would have been fine had the epidural not run out and the doctor thought I could push better against the pain!). So - entry into the world was pretty difficult and involved 2 hours of pushing and a pair of forceps. I hope that's clean enough for a blog entry - you probably wouldn't be reading this if you didn't want to know how it all went!
After our eventful entry to the world, Banks and I both had lots of trouble learning to nurse. He went a few days without really eating much of anything, and we didn't want to give a bottle because we didn't want him spoiled by how easy it is. By Monday, though, we had lost 1 pound since birth - which of course was terrifying for us becuase it was more than the "normal" weight loss that an infant should have. We also started to develop a case of jaundice which peaked today and we are spending tonight under a bili lamp.
After daily doctors visits and blood tests for bilirubin levels, I'm happy to report that Banks is moving upward in weight and nursing is finally going really well. And hopefully, the bili lamp will have curbed his jaundice by tomorrow.
So - that's the summary of our week! It has been exhausting with the feedings and lack of sleep and daily appointments, but it has also been wonderful with the sweet baby we waited so long to hold! I'm so glad to have our hold-it baby! I could really hold him and cuddle him all day long every day and never ever get tired of it. I think he is perfect - but I imagine every new parent says that!
Sorry for the uncharacteristically long blog post. Everyone has sent emails asking how everything was going, and since I haven't gotten around to returning calls yet I felt like I should update everyone on the blog so you at least know how we are doing!
I'll continue posting more pics soon!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
Oh no...BILI LIGHTS!!! how is he today...how are you today?!? Now that he is eating I bet his bilirubin will start to improve quickly. Don't be surprised if he looks yellow for a while though...Drew did even though his levels had gone down. Please, please, please call me if you need anything...I am prepared to give moral support, breast feeding advice, jaundice advice, bili lights advice, and of course the five words a new mother always needs to hear (and I still do) "No you are NOT crazy :)"
Wow...I think I just blogged on your blog instead of commeted.
Anyway...he is beautiful and so are you!!!
~Jennifer
Sarah, those pictures are great. I have to say, I can so relate to the one of J putting on the glove. I know how you feel!!!
I am glad things are better now! And I am so glad that you are enjoying your sweet baby to hold. I cam remember just spending all morning wanting to cuddle with Hannah alone in my bedroom when we first brought her home.
WOW..He is such a beautiful baby!! I love his tan. That's how Bella did too when she was little jaundice. I kept telling everyone she had my skin color....needless to say I was wrong and it was just the juandice. I think it makes them look really pretty though. I do however know how it feels when your baby is sick and I know how it breaks your heart. It's good to hear that things are starting to get better. I'm so glad you are enjoying holding him that is my favorite part too. Thanks for the update!
SARAH! I am so excited for y'all and little Banks...he is so beautiful and y'all look so happy! Please know that if you need anything in this WHOLE world, I am here for you! I know how tricky breastfeeding can be and how hormonal and tired being a new mom can be! But, trust me, the time flies by and God will guide you through all of it! Please call me if you need anything...I am so glad to help! My thoughts and prayers are with you daily! Love, Haylee
He looks great!! He totally was rockin' the yellow tones. However, I understand that the situation must have been very stressful! I am glad you can breathe a breath of fresh air now that it seems to be under control. I have tried to call and email. I KNOW you are so busy with family and friends. Just know I have you guys on my mind!! Love ya!
I would like to say that I enjoy that you posted at four in the morning. That is quality, Sarah. You are now inducted into the world of new motherhood! :)
Post a Comment