Saturday, August 27, 2011

My first 5K race!

We're going to use the term "race" very loosely... but I did run in the Special Olympics Annual Run on Folly Beach right before heading home from vacation! The SOAR run is a "fun run" and it was a great first race for me. All proceeds benefited the Special Olympics of South Carolina.

I was fairly nervous, despite the fact that it was a pretty small race (less than 150 runners). I felt like I had no clue what I was doing... but everyone around me was very friendly and I figured it out.
I'm so glad my sweet family was there to support my first run!


That's me crossing the finish line! Hooray! In just over 35 minutes I ran my first race and actually RAN the whole way! On a beach... which was very cool!

I can't believe that in only 3 months of training, I went from struggling to run 60 second intervals to running 35 minutes! Wow.

Finishing the race was definitely a proud and rewarding moment for me!

2 comments:

Ashleigh Wright said...

Go Sarah! Congrats!

Gaye said...

I am so proud of my baby girl! You can do anything, just as you have always known. You're my hero!