Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Our new neighbors

We walked out of our house last weekend to find we had new neighbors who moved in between us and the Chance's! I have never seen a swarm of bees in the wild. I'm OK if I never see another one, but they were sort of interesting.


Inside that shell of bees are more bees. We think at least a thousand bees were in this swarm. We learned from "The Bee Man" that bees in this state are not generally aggressive, and that seemed to be true. They were not interested in us.

Needless to say, we were not interested in them becoming permanent neighbors. We had been to the farmer's market that morning and bought local honey, so Jonathan just went in and grabbed the bottle and called the number on the back to see if they wanted more honeybees. A few calls later, and "The Bee Man" made plans to come the next morning.


Jonathan's dad had bees when they were little, so he was pretty comfortable putting on the netting and helping to remove the swarm. They sprayed the bees with sugar water and then removed the branches with bees on them, dropped them in the bucket, and called it a day!

You can see that the bees were not interested in us... Banks played in the sprinklers all afternoon and they never bothered us (you can see them in the corner).

I'm just including this picture for fun. You have no idea how often I see this face. "Why, mommy?" Why, why, why.... all. day. long. I love my curious little boy!

No comments: