I hope other mommas of little boys can relate. And if you can't, good for you! I'm happy for you if you don't have to pry and plead with your wee one to get him to tell you about his day. Just one little morsel. Just one teeny tiny tidbit of information. PLEASE!!!
Banks has always been a chatterbox. There have been days, and still are days, where I thought he would never. stop. talking. But as soon as I'm trying to get something specific out of him, mums the word. Silence. The dreaded "nothing" or, even worse, "I can't remember." Yes, son, I also can't recall what I had for breakfast this morning but two children and sleep deprivation did that to me. What's your excuse?!
After days of begging for him to tell me about his day, we implemented the conversation jar. It is no more than a small ice cream dish. For every story he tells me about his day at school, he gets a penny. The color of the day was orange?! Great! A penny. You colored orange things? Fantastic. Another penny. You get to go on a teddy bear picnic tomorrow! I've always wanted to do that! Two pennies.
And so it went. It took two weeks, but we filled that jar up sharing our lives and days together. We celebrated with a mommy and Banks only trip to get ice cream! Oh, and he got to keep the pennies.
Worth it.
No comments:
Post a Comment