We weren't sure whether Banks would understand, but we thought it was a fine time to introduce the concept and it was a good cause anyway.
We talked to him about why it was important to buy toys for a little boy who didn't have as many toys as Banks did, and why it was important to buy him some soap and a toothbrush.Banks's immediate response? He told us the little boy needed an Elmo toothbrush! At least he was following what we were saying...
Jonathan and Banks went shopping yesterday and Banks picked out everything, and never once asked for a toy for himself! And yes, he found an Elmo toothbrush too! He came home so proud, and showed me all the things he bought for "the little boy."

Banks showed just as much enthusiasm last night as we wrapped the box and packed up the goodies. He was so proud!

And this morning, he went with us to "big church" because he wanted to deliver his box. As I sat next to that sweet little boy in the pew.... his legs still so short they stuck straight out in front of him... with that big box on his lap, I was so overcome with Banks's generous heart, and the generous hearts all around us who had also brought boxes. I'm so amazed that he truly seemed to understand.
I was so proud of him as he and his daddy marched up to the front of the church to put his box by the tree. He wasn't scared at all. He just wanted that little boy to have toys for Christmas.
I never expected that I would be the one so blessed by the whole experience! Children have a way of blessing us in unexpected ways, though, don't they?
No comments:
Post a Comment