Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Folly Beach - Part 3 in Charleston

The day we spend in Charleston every year is always one of my favorites! It's hard to describe. Maybe it's because while we have an agenda, we don't really have an agenda. Maybe it's because it's centered around what will really be fun for the boys, but also fun for us. Or maybe it's just because it's the four of us hanging out together and I know these sweet boys will grow up way too fast so I need to treasure them!



We started our day at the SC Aquarium.  Both boys really loved it! It's just the right size for small children, with lots of play areas spread throughout. My favorite moment was at the temporary Lemur exhibit. They had four Lemurs on display, and Banks had just seen the most recent Madagascar movie. We sat down for the educational session on Lemurs (mostly because we wanted to see them feed the Lemurs) and here is what happened:

Presenter: Hey there, kids! I'm here to tell you about Lemurs! Do you know where Lemurs are from? Madagascar! How cool is that!? Who knows what Madagascar is?
Banks (in front of the 50+ people in the session: (yelling) A MOVIE!!!!
Presenter: (laughing) Well, yes it is a movie! It's also a country! Kids, do you know where Madagascar is?
Banks: (again, yelling excitedly) THE MOVIE THEATER!!!



After our adventures at the S.C. Aquarium, we ventured out to the battery. Banks wanted to see the cannons, and Jonathan wanted Banks to climb on the cannons. It's like a right of passage! Every kid climbs on the cannons!






Eli, on the other hand, just played around the cannons. He had fun exploring though!




After the battery, we took a long walk through water front park. Well, we took a long walk. Eli took a long break.





When we got to the fountain, we planned to just let Banks splash around a little. We didn't have a change of clothes, and we had dinner plans, so I didn't plan for him to get soaked. As Banks looked longingly at the fountain and said, "Well... I don't want to get in unless I can get as wet as those kids..." Jonathan said, "Go on buddy. Go for it!" Jonathan later said this was one of his favorite moments from vacation. I guess it was the impromptu decision to just go for it that made this so sweet! Banks loved, loved, loved the fountain!



Fortunately, I did have a dry shirt and Banks's shorts dried quickly in the sun. Everyone freshened up and we went to meet the Magners for dinner. What a great day!



No comments: